the final update for the year has been added to the Year in Books List…
- Acedia and Me by Kathleen Norris. the first book on the list got the year started off right.
- At Large and At Small by Anne Fadiman. she is always a treat. maybe i’ll re-read The Spirit Catches You this year.
- The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett. just wonderful…the Queen discovers bookmobiles! uncommon indeed.
- Lincoln’s Daughter by Tony Wolk. part of a trilogy about Abraham Lincoln, the best of the series. it was such a pleasure to spend time with this young girl. one of many Lincoln and Darwin books i read as they were each born 200 years ago.
- Celebrating the Church Year with Children by Joan Halmo. one of the few inter library loan books that made it to the list, it is so good and wise.
- Crow Planet by Lyanda Lynn Haupt. need i say more?
- Tesserae by Denise Levertov. excellent essays by a poet.
- Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson. very good and comprehensive homeschooling book.
- The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker. great novel about poetry, so fun. and i learned so much
so i recommended four non-fiction, three novels, and two how-to books…fair and balanced. i’d love for 2010 to be heavy on the novels. love me a good story. any ideas?