“Imagine what our real neighborhoods would be like if each of us offered as a matter of course, just one kind word to another person. One kind word has a wonderful way of turning into many.”
today is mister rogers’ birthday and to celebrate the folks at Family Communications have a list of ways to bring a bit of the neighborhood home to where you live…
- Plant a tree
- Say “Thank You”
- Sort and recycle glass, newspapers, plastic and cardboard
- Give the gift of laughter: clip cartoons, share funny stories
- Offer to take the shopping cart back for someone loading his or her car
- Shop with reusable bags
- Make a donation to your favorite non-profit
- Save throw-aways (egg cartons, ribbons, etc.) for art projects
- Share a hug
- Be a good friend by just listening
- Reuse cardboard boxes to store toys and supplies
- Volunteer at a senior center
- Pay someone a compliment
- Visit your local library for story time, crafts, songs and games
“Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” Day is an annual event to celebrate Fred Rogers and his legacy of neighborliness on his birthday, March 20th. Neighbors everywhere are encouraged to wear his or her favorite sweater and promote neighborliness.
and the folks at Save Mister Rogers are still working to improve accsess to the Neighborhood. when PBS decided to stop airing the show every day, they said they would bring the show online instead. we’re still waiting for that to happen. there are a few episodes online (follow the link above), and you can see them with a free trial. but otherwise you need to subscribe. i might do that…and share my password here so we could all partake!
happy birthday, mister rogers! we love you just the way you are.