this morning in the bath i happened upon this rather astonishing list of commitments that Dr King had any demonstrators in Birmingham sign. (you can find the document here; i found it first in Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life by Marjorie Thompson.)
1. Meditate daily on the teachings and life of Jesus.
2. Remember always that the non-violent movement seeks justice and reconciliation–not victory.
3. Walk and talk in the manner of love, for God is love.
4. Pray daily to be used by God in order that all men might be free.
5. Sacrifice personal wishes in order that all men might be free.
6. Observe with both friend and foe the ordinary rules of courtesy.
7. Seek to perform regular service for others and for the world.
8. Refrain from the violence of fist, tongue, or heart.
9. Strive to be in good spiritual and bodily health.
10.Follow the directions of the movement and of the captain on a demonstration.
not at all a bad way to start this new year.
do you have plans for this free day? will it snow where you are? once upon a time we lived in this city without a car. once or twice a year, we would rent a car for the weekend and live it up! here are pictures from our adventures on a cold, clear Martin Luther King Day in 2008.